Saturday, July 14, 2012

Writers are the Nicest People!

Those of us in the library biz are known to be author stalkers. Of course, I mean that only in the very best of terms! Years of conference attendance, book expos, and reading festivals have convinced me that writers are among the most unassuming celebrities in the world. They make their livings in the most solitary way - writing and researching - yet are forced to get out there and stump for their books on endless book tours, graciously answering the same questions over and over again.

This brings me to the good fortune I happened to have while on vacation. A real-life famous author was visiting family in the same complex where Don lives.  Because he knew the family, I had the chance to (diffidently, I'll admit) hand out my cards to several people including the writer and creative writing teacher, Diane McKinney Whetstone.
http://www.mckinney-whetstone.com/

What a delight to have the opportunity to talk with her about her new book which is in the final stages of rewrites and will be published by Harper Collins next year. I flat out asked her if I could review it. How bold was that?

 Dare I tell you anything about it? I'm not sure how much I should divulge but I think I can safely say that it's a historical fiction novel about an immigration hub in the port of Philadelphia, one that was a first stop before the better known and studied Ellis Island.

Ms. Whetstone has been writing novels for many years and they're available in all formats through the library, some have been optioned for film. We talked about the long, frustrating process of bringing a book to the screen and the dearth of films portraying positve images of African American families. She's promised to send me a copy of her first book, Tumbling, and I promise to write about it here. Stay tuned!

No comments: