Monday, June 1, 2009

Florida Rep's Shirley Valentine

RUN, don't walk to this fantastic production of Shirley Valentine at the Florida Repertory Theatre in downtown Ft. Myers. Once again this professional theatre troupe, under the able artistic direction of Bob Cacioppo, has put together a stand out production that's already been so popular that the run has been extended for another week.
www.floridarep.org

Now, I'm assuming that you're all familiar with the 1988 film of the same name but did you know that Shirley was first a play? I sure didn't. So, while I'm obsessing about how they can possibly turn the film I loved so much into a one-woman show, little did I know that, in fact, that's how playwright Willy Russell had envisioned it from the jump. He also wrote another great play/film Educating Rita. We have both of these in the library if you'd like a refresher.

I have been attending Florida Rep for years now and have witnessed some phenomenal theatrical productions, many that have left me either sobbing or too depleted of energy to move from my seat. Wit comes to mind or The Last Night of Ballyhoo. Shirley Valentine just left me so satisfied that I felt like I'd spent an afternoon catching up with an old, beloved friend.

Actress Lisa Morgan ( www.lisa-morgan.com ) has an extensive, impressive resume. I like to
remind some of the snobs I run into who insist there's no "culcha" here in Southwest Florida, of the caliber of actors who are drawn here to work with the Cacioppos. Ms. Morgan has that rare gift of perfect comic timing and reveled in showing it off frequently as she spoke to the wall in her dreary little kitchen in foggy old England. I was reminded of the way Jon Stewart only has to look at the camera to get guffaws. Ms. Morgan has that same ability to deliver a line, stare at the audience and patiently wait for the "ah ha" moment. Her monologue on the discovery of the clitoris had the women in the audience wetting their pants. I thought the older gentleman sitting next to me was disapproving but discovered later that the poor guy just couldn't hear, as his wife had to repeat all the punchlines sotto voce.

Even if it's a little dated - Shirley is considered "over the hill" at the age of 42 - the feelings this play engenders are universal truths about love, acceptance and sins of omission. Shirley and her husband are empty nesters who go through their daily routines with little joie de vivre; they work, shop, come home to eat and sit in front of the telly. They no longer see each other. Yet Shirley reminisces about earlier years when she was a rip roaring pip with dreams of travel and adventure, longings that have been stifled by inertia. When a friend offers to treat her to a Greek Island escape the old Shirley comes to life in a most self-revealing way.

So come on....even the president attended live theatre this past weekend. Why can't you? Make the call right now. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: