Monday, August 17, 2009

A Friend, A Connection and a Great Blog to Visit!

Ever since a former colleague, Lesa Holstine, taught Maryellen and me how to make a reading festival out of just about nothing, I have been watching her career with amazement. A heartbreak turned into a challenge and then a chance to fly. She is now glowing out in Arizona, another overachieving librarian, hosting authors from all over the country, writing, reviewing and honing her position as the "go to" person for all answers to all questions in genre fiction.


Imagine how pleased and surprised I was to receive an email from Dr. Hallie Ephron, yes, THOSE Ephrons, saying that Lesa had recommended she send me an advance reader's copy of her new book, The Bibliophile's Devotional; 365 Day of Literary Classics. I watched the mail every day waiting for that puffy manila envelope that indicates book rate and a new treat. For a book lover there's simply nothing like opening a package with a new book inside, the sensuous feel of the pages, the first look at the cover art, checking out the dedication and the introduction seem designed to raise the heartbeat just a titch. But a personal note from the author? Priceless!

The Bibliophile's Devotional is like a box of Norman Love chocolates; it should not be devoured but savored, dipped into, put aside, revisited. Book lovers are list lovers and not only is this an eclectic list of great reads but it will also make a great tool for any reader's advisory librarian or book group leader. The format is simple. For each day of the year there is an entry that begins with a quote from the featured book, next Ms. Ephron writes a concise background and plot description and then she offers up a pithy review or comment from an author or other notable source.

I hope this doesn't make the book sound too pedantic because it's anything but that, though I'll admit I was sorry to see that my birthday was given over to Beowulf! Whew, if you had to read that in college you must remember what a struggle that was. However, today, August 17th is Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things, a novel that's been on my "to read when I retire list" for way too long. I confess to dog-earing quite a few pages of "must reads" and smiling with a warm sense of camaraderie at the presence of some of my all time favorites.

Best of all, dear readers, is the magical blog that I uncovered while poking around Hallie Ephron's website. You must add it to your RSS feeds. The name alone is worth the clicks. Writing Well is the Best Revenge. How much fun is that? And what a delightful group of gals, novelists, bloggers, and engaged human beings. I look forward to every new post. Do check it out.
http://www.jungleredwriters.com/

No comments: