Monday, September 21, 2009

A relaxed Sally - Yes I Can!



Yes, I did it. Now I can share more photos of Greece. Oops, I forgot, I'm supposed to be talking about books but I'm still on vacation in my head. Don took this photo of me at the Temple of Poseiden in Sounian, a two hour local bus trip south of Athens along a coastal highway that looked a great deal like the Amalfi coast but not as upscale.

I should have mentioned what a great afternoon we had in a 7 storey bookshop in Athens that I had read about on a blog. Don was looking for a light read - mystery or espionage - that would give him a feel for the politics and people of Greece. Kind of what Donna Leon does so well for Venice. We chatted with Kostas for ages and what a well read, interesting young man he was. He and I had read all the same things and were just having a ball talking books all over the board. Very eclectic taste. Anyway, he came up with a book, The Late Night News by Petros Markaris, which Don just couldn't put down and now that we're back I've checked our library and sure enough, we have two other titles in our system and I've already got them on hold. If I can catch up on the ironing I might even get to it!!
We sent an email yesterday to the bookstore to compliment them and their fabulous employee and to also give Kostas my blog address.

I read in a book review magazine that one of the writers wanted folks to send him letters, not about the books they've loved, but about the ones they couldn't finish. People are having a ball with it and true confessions have been coming in from all over the country. I thought it would be fun if you readers sent me some titles you just couldn't get into and try to explain why. Premiere winner so far seems to be Love in the Time of Cholera. I'll second that!

Can we talk about South of Broad????? Do you really think Pat Conroy wrote this? I'll go into my impressions tomorrow after I look for more photos to upload. This is fun.

No comments: