Thursday, October 8, 2009

For Second Wives Only

Sorry, but you really have to be one (or at least have been one) to appreciate this quick, insightful little novel by Sylvia Brownrigg, called Morality Tale. Ms. Brownrigg sets the tone with her nod to Alexander Dumas, "So heavy is the chain of wedlock that it needs two to carry it, and sometimes three." This novel is very snarky and, though David Denby says we're getting a tad too snarky nowadays, and I do agree with him, it is still a very funny form of humor.

The narrator is the second wife of a man who, though she claims is a really good person, comes off as a man who needs to be in constant control and feels that his life is totally not in his control. He is obsessed with his first wife who, as they are wont to do, uses his two young boys as ammo against him, denying visitation, arriving late or early, staging cell phone screaming matches that make you wince. As far as wife number one is concerned, number two is invisible. Thus, by default, she seems to actually fade in her husband's eyes. After all, how much energy can one give to relationships? If all the energy is focused on hating number one there isn't much emotion left for number two. Luckily, Richard, the envelope salesman who arrives at our heroine's little shop one day, does not find her invisible, in fact, he's smitten and she guiltily blooms.

Having sadly "been there, done that" this book was, for me, a revisiting of bad memories long ago put aside for the glorious life and career that I have now. I thought it might not be worth dredging up those old feelings. But a trusted friend, a second wife, had recommended it so I soldiered on and am glad I did. Brownrigg has so much insight into the human condition, empathy for her characters, (even the ones we love to hate), and keeps enough humor in the mix to make the whole thing rather tasty. I especially enjoyed the relationship between number two and the boys. I could imagine how they had been threatened within an inch of their life NOT to like this intruder but how her responsible, steady hand, so diferent from their blood relatives', put them at ease and won them over. After all, SOMEone has to get them to their field trips on time!

If you've ever read the fantastic, controversial Ayelet Waldman or perhaps Elinor Lipman then you'll understand the type of romantic comedy you're in for. As I said, not usually my forte, but a lovely diversion just the same.

I've started listening to not one, but two new books. In the car, Stephanie Kallos's Sing Them Home, which has caught me up right from the jump. More on this and the very (another one ) snarky murder mystery by John Darnton, a send up of the newspaper industry called Black and White and Dead All Over. You've got to love some of these titles! No writing this weekend as I've gotten another book from Library Journal. Ms. Hoffert must think my mind is still in Greece (when in fact I'm planning another trip already) as this new one is a retelling of the Odysseus epic. I'll keep you posted!

Where are all the comments? I know you're out there.

No comments: