Sunday, November 29, 2009

Spooks!

Wow! Don and I have just finished the third season of this incredible BBC production recommended, as I mentioned before, by our two lovely acquaintances from Britain who we met while vacationing on Crete. Once again, I can't say that I've ever seen an American TV series or even a movie that can compare to this series. I have so many thoughts rumbling around in my mind based upon this show, the news of the day, and my other reading.

The British Secret Service is supposed to be the creme de la creme and the organization that our CIA was based upon. My disillusionment with our own government and its operatives continues in light of revelations in the Times today that secret prisons are still operating at US bases in Iraq and Afghanistan under our new leadership in Washington. I have answered Marcella's call and written a letter to our president expressing my deep disappointment.
Watching MI-5 at work is appalling and fascinating all at the same time. Much as a driver can't help but slow and gawk at an accident, we sit and watch this tv show knowing full well that the devious, terrifying, despicable things that these agents do for their country are being done every day in our own country in our name, whether we agree with it or not. It's not for the faint of heart. (or is that feint?)

Interestingly enough, it seems that as characters are written out of the show, their leavetaking coincides with their realization that they are losing their souls. One can only continue in this line of work for so long before a line is crossed that can never be undone. Do we all have a little devil inside of us that leans to the dark side? Perhaps we do and by heading into the living room and putting in season 4 I can appease that devil and remain in the real world, a little less oblivious to the "collateral damage."

Speaking of this, I can't wait to take a good long look at In Defense of the Realm, the Authorized History of MI-5 by Christopher Andrew. Even the "authorized" version should be full of fascinating tidbits and behind the scenes stories. At 1000 plus pages, I can guarantee that I won't be reading the full thing but will blog with impunity about it nevertheless!

No comments: