Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Addictive Personality Disorder

I'm gonna have to face it, I'm addicted to books. I haven't read of this disorder in the DSM-IV but I know there have been many books written about those strange characters who hoard books or steal them from libraries (say it isn't so!). Me? I collect Advanced Reader's Copies. Behind my desk at work, in piles at home on the kitchen counter, in my office and the bedroom, these paperback, pre-publication books (some autographed, some not) mulitply by the number of conferences I attend, the number of publishers' contests I enter and the number of books Barbara Hoffert sends me. I love them!

I'm thinking about this today because two of my colleagues are winging their way to New York City for Book Expo America and I'm pea green with envy. BEA is, without a doubt, the greatest high a book collector and author stalker can ever feel. No matter how overwhelmed we are with our responsibilities here at work, this is the time of year (and I'll bet Maryellen feels the same way) that I wish we were still co-chairing the Southwest Florida Reading Festival. I have no doubt that, when I retire, (famous last words) I'll attend BEA on my own dime and just revel in all those stacks of new books crying out "pick me, pick me!"

Some lovely treats that I carted home from Portland and intend to get to over the long, hot summer are Matterhorn (Nancy Pearl's review was over the top), http://nancypearlbooks.wordpress.com/
The Lonely Polygamist, The Red Thread, and The Nobodies Album by Carolyn Parkhurst. Of course, that doesn't include what goodies Jessica brings back from BEA for me. Hint to Jess if you're reading!

3 comments:

TooManyBooks said...

Why wait until we retire??
Maryellen

Sallyb said...

You've got a point! Probably should do it while we have the $$$$

Jessica said...

You know if the library stops sending me, I'll just have to plan it for my vacation!