Wednesday, June 6, 2018

A Day of Book Expo America

Back in New York City this year, Book Expo America billed itself as "reinvented." Hmmm-I'm not quite sure what that means but I know that, for the first time ever, I had to apply to attend. Once accepted, I sent a check for $200 for a one-day pass. Yes folks, that's a lot of money for some free books that could have been downloaded from home onto my Kindle. So, why do we do it?  Only those readers passionate about books and authors can understand.

The Greatest Love Story Ever Told: An Oral HistoryAnd only Barbara Kingsolver and Trevor Noah could have awakened me at six in the morning so that I could walk to the Javits Center from our hotel room and be sitting toward the front of the stage by 7:30 slurping coffee and orange juice! They were worth the price of admission. Each displayed such brilliance and class, exacerbated by the comparison with the moderator, Nick Offerman, who offered exactly no class. It was way too early in the morning to find anything humorous about Nick and his wife, fellow comedian Megan Mullally, joshing about their spectacular sex life. Unless you're huge fans you can probably pass on this.

However, mark your calendars for October when Kingsolver's latest novel, "Unsheltered," will be released. She told the audience that when something scares her so much that she can't think about anything else, she writes about it. And nothing, we all agreed, can be as scary as what's happening right now. Or can it? Kingsolver sets her book in a dilapidated house in Vineland, New Jersey, during two time periods - under current circumstances and under an equally unsettling epoch, back in the 1870's after the Civil War had divided our nation and Charles Darwin shook up the world of science and education with his new theory of humankind.

I can't wait to jump into this book and will offer it to one of you the minute I'm finished. As Barbara told the audience, "stories will get us through times with no leaders better than leaders will get us through time with no stories." Unsheltered: A Novel

Trevor Noah, wisely chosen by John Stewart as replacement host of The Daily Show, has not only grown into the job but has exceeded my wildest expectations. In fact I find Noah to be a much more thoughtful interviewer than John was and deeply knowledgeable about each guest and our country as a whole. Perhaps being an outsider and witnessing the worst that governments can do - read his book about growing up in South Africa as a mixed-race child, "Born a Crime," - he can be more objective about the present state of our nation.

The staff of The Daily Show is attempting the impossible. They are collating all of the tweets that Donald Trump has issued in the first year of his presidency to try to get a handle on what kind of a man he really is. Noah tells us it should be simple, we'll know enough to know he should never have been president! Still, the thought of a computer algorithm able to identify Trump's most used words to form a psychological profile is intriguing. I'll be on the wait list for sure.

These Truths: A History of the United StatesThe big surprise of the morning was the absolutely delightful historian and Harvard professor Jill Lepore. She is such a dynamo. If I had had someone like that for a history teacher? Oh my, the places I'd have gone! Called "daring and provocative," words that speak to me, "These Truths, a History of the United States," commences with the signing of the constitution and the hypocrisy of its foundation, "that all men are created equal." It ends with the chapter heading "America, Disrupted," and the election of the 45th president.

Attendees at the breakfast only received a sampler of Lepore's book but it will be a great introduction to her theories and her writing style. You'll be hearing more from me about it in the near future. I'm hoping to stay home and read for a few months now. More on the amazing panel discussions I attended and on meeting Andre DuBus III will be coming in a few days. Happy reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! love to have the Kingsolver book,as it takes place not too far from where I grew up. In fact, Debbi works in Vineland! still hungover from our long flight! China was amazing!

Jessica said...

So jealous! I'm currently listening to Trevor Noah's "Born a Crime" which he narrates. I'm loving it.